By Snieder R.
Unlike conventional textbooks for college students and execs within the actual sciences, this booklet provides its fabric within the type of difficulties. the second one version includes new chapters on dimensional research, variational calculus, and the asymptotic assessment of integrals. The publication can be utilized through undergraduates and lower-level graduate scholars. it could function a stand-alone textual content, or as a resource of difficulties and examples to counterpoint different textbooks. First variation Hb (2001): 0-521-78241-4 First variation Pb (2001): 0-521-78751-3
Read or Download A Guided Tour of Mathematical Methods: For the Physical Sciences PDF
Best mathematical physics books
Using unique capabilities, and particularly ethereal features, is very universal in physics. the explanation will be present in the necessity, or even within the necessity, to specific a actual phenomenon by way of an efficient and complete analytical shape for the complete medical neighborhood. in spite of the fact that, for the earlier 20 years, many actual difficulties were resolved by means of desktops.
I've got simply all started studying this ebook and that i like it. i'm a senior yr physics scholar and that i chanced on it to be an ideal healthy. the concept that of non-eq. platforms all at once turns out extremely simple, rather than what it used to be only a day in the past. I learn just a small a part of this ebook notwithstanding, yet I felt obliged to speak my utter pleasure over the natural great thing about authors didactic and straightforward flowing method.
Those notes are in accordance with six Fermi Lectures held on the Scuola Normale Superiore in Pisa in March and April 1981. the subjects taken care of rely on simple suggestions of classical mechanics, uncomplicated geometry, complicated research in addition to spectral concept and are intended for mathematicians and theoretical physicists alike.
- The language of physics: a foundation for university study
- Fractional Calculus: An Introduction for Physicists
- A Course in Mathematical Physics II: Classical Field Theory (Course in Mathematical Physics)
- A guided tour of mathematical physics
Extra info for A Guided Tour of Mathematical Methods: For the Physical Sciences
8): J = h r h θ h ϕ . This is not a coincidence; in general the scale factors contain all the information needed to compute the Jacobian for an orthogonal curvilinear coordinate system, see Butkov  for details. Problem d A volume element d V is thus given in spherical coordinates by d V = r 2 sin θ dr dθ dϕ. 3 that is deﬁned by inﬁnitesimal increments dr , dθ, and dϕ. Give an alternative derivation of this expression for d V that is based on geometric arguments only. 42 Spherical and cylindrical coordinates z-axis r sinq d j rdq dq dj dr r y-axis x-axis Fig.
1) It follows by adding and subtracting f B that δ f = fC − f A = f B − f A + fC − f B . 1 Properties of the gradient vector 47 Fig. 1 Deﬁnition of the points A, B, and C. 3) ∂f ⎪ ⎪ fC − f B = (x + δx, y) δ y. 2) and derive that to leading order in δx and δ y the result can be written as: ∂f ∂f (x, y) δx + (x, y) δ y. 4) δf = ∂x ∂y Note that ∂ f /∂ y is evaluated at (x + δx, y). However, using a Taylor expansion of ∂ f /∂ y we ﬁnd that ∂f ∂f ∂2 f (x + δx, y) δ y = (x, y) δ y + (x, y) δxδ y. 5) The last term is of second order in δx and δ y and can be ignored when these quantities are small.
4 for the scheme of this problem. The reﬂection coefﬁcient is deﬁned as the ratio of the strengths of the reﬂected and the incident waves, similarly the transmission coefﬁcient is deﬁned as the ratio of the strengths of the transmitted wave and the incident wave. To highlight the essential arguments we simplify the analysis and ignore that the reﬂection coefﬁcient for waves incident from the left and the right are in general not the same. However, this simpliﬁcation does not change the essence of the coming arguments.